Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Ikaho Hot Spring

The hot springs of Ikaho 
among the best in Japan 

The first time my friend and I went to Ikaho was in the fall. The colors were absolutely amazing! My favorite fall leaves in Japan are the Japanese maples, and there was no shortage in Ikaho. The famous stone steps were under construction, and we didn't have much time to enjoy the rest of Ikaho so I determined that I would visit again. 

I finally made it back to Ikaho in March of this year for their famous Hinamatsuri display. They bring in children from around Japan to dress up as the different doll characters in a traditional Hinamatsuri display. The kids were so cute! If you ever have a chance to check out Ikaho's Hinamatsuri events, I highly recommend it. It is definitely not something you can see anywhere else. 



While we were waiting for the main event to start during Hinamatsuri, people from Ikaho's tourism board came and spoke about some of Ikaho's special points. One that I found especialy interesting was that onsen manju (which are popular all over Japan) apparently started in Ikaho! Most onsen manju have a brown skin, and apparently that is because they were made in the image of Ikaho's natural onsen water which is brown from minerals. 面白い! 

No comments:

Post a Comment