Friday, June 14, 2013

Mt. Asama

Mt. Asama's vast lava beds
Creating of a mischievous demon

Asama was one of those places that is so close you never go. The mountain was an impressive landmark in the back of other local adventures (hiking other mountains, snowboarding in Tsumagoi), but I finally visited almost 2 years after my friend and I started our tour of Jomo Karuta. 
My mother is a science teacher, and on family vacations she would often get excited about "interesting" rocks, but the first time I understood her interest in rocks was walking into the Onioshidashi Park in Asama. The lava beds feel like you have been transported to another planet... 

This past weekend I visited again with a friend, to re-take photos. (I lost a bunch of data when I force-fed my computer apple tea....) The sky was a little cloudy so it was tough to see Asama in the back ground of the lava beds, but it was still a good trip. If you aren't a big fan of rocks, like my mother, the park also has a number of flowering shrubs and great collection of local goods. 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment