Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Kusatsu

The hot springs of Kusatsu
Curative for your ills

 Kusatsu is on the top of my list of favorite places in Gunma, with one qualifier - I HATE driving in town trying to find parking. In true onsen town style the streets are super narrow, and if a shop has parking, its usually cramped and scary to get in and out of. However once the car is parked, I am always glad I made the effort.


For the official Jomo Karuta Tour visit, my friend and I decided to use the bus from Naganohara station, because neither my of us were very familiar with Kusatsu, and it can be pretty busy on the weekends. If you have a car though, I think it is better to drive than take the bus, since bus and train times are limited. 

Kusatsu's onsen water has a high sulfur content, which leaves your skin feeling amazing, but even if you aren't into getting naked with a bunch of strangers there are plenty of other things to do in Kusatsu as well. (skiing, hiking, yummy restaurants, Sainokawara Park, Yumomi performances etc...)


Friend & I with Kusatsu's character, Yumomi-chan

Yubatake at night

Mt Shirane's famous lake

At the base of the Yubatake

Kusatsu Ski Resort

"Onsen Tamago" (eggs soft boiled in hot spring water)


No comments:

Post a Comment